The Buchele Adventure

This is record of the Buchele Adventure, as reported from West Africa.

Friday, August 10, 2012

The Capsule Hotel – Hotel Camping


Preamble
When Dr. Dale and I were first talking about me joining the St. Philip’s team, it was dream each of us had to work together and to still allow me to explore the missional side of my call to ministry.  So we came up with a plan that would allow me the great privilege of serving at St. Philip’s during the academic year, and then over the summer serve elsewhere in some mission ministry outside of St. Philip’s, like helping to teach Leadership at Bandung Theological Seminary, in Indonesia. 

This summer our daughter Grace moved to Japan to begin her Junior year abroad at International Christian University, in Tokyo.  Because most flight to Jakarta fly through Tokyo,  Suzanne encouraged me to spend a few days seeing Grace before heading on to Jakarta.  Adventure Time, I think.

Over the years I’ve heard about the Japanese Capsule Hotels, and since I had to spend the night somewhere in Tokyo, why not experience a Capsule Hotel? 

A Night in a Capsule Hotel
The first thing you notice about the Capsule Hotel is that everything is smaller.  The lobby could not handle more than 2 or 3 checking in, in fact while I was leaving, so was a Japanese boy’s softball team, and the lobby was almost impassable.  The second thing you do is put your shoes in a locker, and trade that key for what turns out to be a small safe key; there are no room keys, because there are no rooms, just capsules, (actually there are capsule hotel rooms, which have their own incredibly small bathrooms)

Mine is on the 4th floor, in a room with about 20 other capsules, top and bottom.

[a room of capsules]

[my capsule on the outside]

[with the "door" shut]

[inside my capsule]

[my and my capsule, and my stuff]

I slept great.  Initially, I was worried about the noise I would make getting in, or the sounds of others making noise that would keep me awake, but after I got in and situated, I slept well.  In the morning I learned about half of the capsules were occupied that night (I counted in the morning).  Plus they give you a cute sleeping robe, and ask that you wear it.

It wasn’t that much of an adventure, other than showering.  The showers are only open at night, and the customs in Japan are a bit different (as my daughter Grace describes in her blog). 

Is a Capsule Hotel for you? 
Yes, if you are cheap, I am.
No if you are claustrophobic, I’m not.
Yes, if you have better things to do in a foreign town than hang out in your hotel (because there is no place to hang).

6 Comments:

Blogger Grace Buchele said...

Sounds like a fun, cute adventure!
Glad you had fun!!

-Grace

12:18 AM, August 11, 2012  
Blogger SBuchele said...

Sorry it wasn't as much of an adventure as you were hoping for - but an adventure nonetheless!

3:01 PM, August 11, 2012  
Blogger Unknown said...

Just saying "Hi" coz. Sure been a long time. Hope y'all are doing well. Don't be a stranger, or don't be stranger. Your choice.

4:08 PM, August 11, 2012  
Blogger Loretta Luquette said...

I would definitely call that an adventure. Thanks for sharing Rev. Steve.

12:23 AM, August 12, 2012  
Blogger kaylenn said...

Steve, you are so funny! I would have never done that, but then again I took a bath in a bathhouse in Hot Springs. That room is SMALL!

3:35 AM, August 12, 2012  
Blogger B. said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:37 PM, August 12, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home