The Buchele Adventure

This is record of the Buchele Adventure, as reported from West Africa.

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

When my prayer life changed

 

 

Steve visits an ashram in Pondicherry, and his prayer life changed.

I had gone to the ashram skeptical, but wanting to experience the part of a devoted follower, praying to the part of God that is worshiped in this place, and hoping for something in return; a revelation from that place. Part of my concentration was praying through each item from my list: my brother Rod who is dying of liver cancer, for my children, for Suzanne and our marriage, and a few other situations that have since dropped off my prayer radar. My list is usually a list of 3-5, and since I did not know how much time Sanjay had allotted for concentration on this part of the tour, the prayer request flew by historical markers on an interstate highway.

Highway speed prayers should have felt unfamiliar, but looking back on it; I realize I had been praying that style for some time; a habit of setting the cruise control and praying from a time when I felt busy. Now I was less busy, but my prayers had not downshifted; they were still fast food prayers of obligation.

Read about the Ashram in Praying to the part of you that is worshiped.

Walking away from the ashram, I casually ask one of the young people on the tour if God had revealed anything. While thinking about her answer, she asked:

“What did God reveal to you, Steve?”

I was not begging to be asked, and didn't even know there was a revelation waiting for me until she asked. When God wants to reveal something to me, it usually is not complicated, or complex. God just hides it in my consciousness until something triggers me to look for it, or I trip over it like a stray toy in the dark.

WRITING 101 (1)

You pray too fast.

Those words did not form in my brain, they were just there, like they had always been there, waiting to be seen, or in this case uncovered when I tripped over them.

I could have answered, “I pray too fast,” but didn't. On this tour, few travelers knew I was a pastor; the rest knew me to be a teacher, and I did not want to blow my cover. I was enjoying the anonymity; the break from people's expectations. It was good to just be a regular person, and relate to people like that.

In seminary they taught us a pastor can NEVER take off the pastor hat, even if you think you have taken it off, people still see its shadow (unless you're on a G-Adventures Tour, and don't tell anyone). Ha! Take that Austin Seminary!

If she told me about her revelation, I am sure I was not listening; I was too absorbed in my own revelation about praying too fast. I knew it was from the Lord; I knew it was true, so I asked, slowly, what needs to change?

Come into my presence. And with that, my prayer life changed.

I started to pray without asking God for anything.

There was still plenty, plenty (as we say in Ghana), to ask of God but those things were not driving the reason I was praying and that changed everything.

Maybe this is why I visit sacred places that other faiths designate as holy, I learn about my experience of God by seeking to understand theirs.

Labels:

17 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Great post! I am actually getting ready to across this information, It’s very helpful for this blog.Also great with all of the valuable information you have Keep up the good work you are doing well.
Selenium training in Chennai

Selenium training in BangaloreJava training in Chennai

Java training in Bangalore

7:05 AM, December 24, 2018  
Blogger service care said...

I think this is a great site to post and I have read most of contents and I found it useful for my Career .Thanks for the useful information. Good work.Keep going.
moto g service center in chennai
motorola service center in velachery
motorola service center in t nagar

10:11 AM, March 11, 2019  
Blogger Vignesh said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:31 PM, March 17, 2019  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

UI Development Training In Marathahalli
Selenium Training In Bangalore

10:37 AM, May 09, 2019  
Blogger Realtime Experts said...

Thanks for one marvelous posting! I enjoyed reading it; you are a great author. I will make sure to bookmark your blog and may come back someday. I want to encourage that you continue your great posts.Informatica Training in Bangalore

11:40 AM, December 08, 2019  
Blogger Realtime Experts said...

Thanks for sharing this blog. This very important and informative blog.Tableau Training in Bangalore

11:43 AM, December 08, 2019  
Blogger Realtime Experts said...

Learned a lot of new things from your post! Good creation and HATS OFF to the creativity of your mind.Hadoop Training in Bangalore

11:45 AM, December 08, 2019  
Blogger aravind said...

I realize I had been praying that style for some time, a habit of setting the cruise control and praying from a time when I felt busy. So, always believe god and payer to make mind clearly.Thanks for sharing this wonderful content.its very useful to us.

DevOps Training in Chennai

DevOps Online Training in Chennai

DevOps Training in Bangalore

DevOps Training in Hyderabad

DevOps Training in Coimbatore

DevOps Training

DevOps Online Training


8:55 AM, August 06, 2020  
Blogger lavanya said...

Hi, This blog about AngularJs to develop the module in webpage this concept in deeply Wonderful bloggers like yourself who would positively reply encouraged me to be more open and engaging in commenting..keep it up!!

Java training in Chennai

Java Online training in Chennai

Java Course in Chennai

Best JAVA Training Institutes in Chennai

Java training in Bangalore

Java training in Hyderabad

Java Training in Coimbatore

Java Training

Java Online Training

8:42 AM, August 15, 2020  
Blogger swaroop said...

I am reading your post from the beginning, it was so interesting to read & I feel thanks to you for posting such a good blog, keep updates regularly.

Web Designing Training in Chennai

Web Designing Course in Chennai

Web Designing Training in Bangalore

Web Designing Course in Bangalore

Web Designing Training in Hyderabad

Web Designing Course in Hyderabad

Web Designing Training in Coimbatore

Web Designing Training

Web Designing Online Training

11:06 AM, August 22, 2020  
Blogger radhika said...

I think this is a great site to post and I have read most of contents and I found it useful for my Career .Thanks for the useful information. Good work.Keep going.


AWS Course in Chennai

AWS Course in Bangalore

AWS Course in Hyderabad

AWS Course in Coimbatore

AWS Course

AWS Certification Course

AWS Certification Training

AWS Online Training

AWS Training

2:30 PM, August 22, 2020  
Blogger vivekvedha said...

Thank you for your post. This is excellent information. It is amazing and wonderful to visit your site.
acte chennai

acte complaints

acte reviews

acte trainer complaints

acte trainer reviews

acte velachery reviews complaints

acte tambaram reviews complaints

acte anna nagar reviews complaints

acte porur reviews complaints

acte omr reviews complaints

10:00 AM, August 23, 2020  
Blogger rocky said...

Excellent Blog! I would Thanks for sharing this wonderful content.its very useful to us.This is incredible,I feel really happy to have seen your webpage.I gained many unknown information, the way you have clearly explained is really fantastic.


python training in bangalore

python training in hyderabad

python online training

python training

python flask training

python flask online training

python training in coimbatore


5:04 AM, August 26, 2020  
Blogger Revathi said...

But if you're going to demand growth of yourself, then you need a reliable yet easy way to self-assess how you're actually doing through all five of the key growth domains (education, spiritual, physical, emotional, social). Use the following question sets to consider your progress.thanks for sharing!!

Android Training in Chennai

Android Online Training in Chennai

Android Training in Bangalore

Android Training in Hyderabad

Android Training in Coimbatore

Android Training

Android Online Training

8:12 AM, August 30, 2020  
Blogger anand said...

Superb blog post! And this blog clearly explain about for useful information. I would Thanks for sharing this wonderful content.its very useful to us. Keep it up!

Software Testing Training in Chennai

Software Testing Online Training in Chennai

Software Testing Courses in Chennai

Software Testing Training in Bangalore

Software Testing Training in Hyderabad

Software Testing Training in Coimbatore

Software Testing Training

Software Testing Online Training

11:08 AM, September 04, 2020  
Blogger shiva said...

I really like all of the articles. I truly loved. I'd like more info relating to this, simply because it's very good.
Cyber Security Training Course in Chennai | Certification | Cyber Security Online Training Course | Ethical Hacking Training Course in Chennai | Certification | Ethical Hacking Online Training Course | CCNA Training Course in Chennai | Certification | CCNA Online Training Course | RPA Robotic Process Automation Training Course in Chennai | Certification | RPA Training Course Chennai | SEO Training in Chennai | Certification | SEO Online Training Course

8:31 AM, September 05, 2020  
Blogger Lavanya said...

Thank you for your post. This is excellent information. It is amazing and wonderful to visit your site.salesforce training in chennai

software testing training in chennai

robotic process automation rpa training in chennai

blockchain training in chennai

devops training in chennai

11:11 AM, December 08, 2020  

Post a Comment

<< Home